This section contains newspaper articles and other commentary related to nonpublication. Please check back often for updated articles.
1. On “Published” Opinions Myron Moskovitz, Daily Journal, September 1, 2019
2. California (Finally) Ends Automatic Depublication Peter W. Martin, June 20, 2016
3. High court shifts on depublishing Saul Sugarman, Daily Journal, June 2, 2016
4. Using Unpublished Opinions In Calif. High Court Petitions Jessica M. Di Palma, Law360, March 3, 2016.
5. “Referencing” and “mentioning” unpublished opinions in petitions for review Jessica Di Palma, www.atthelectern.com, January 28, 2016
6. Binding precedent, pending review Jessica M. Di Palma; Daily Journal; January 19, 2016
State Depublication Rule Draws Criticism From
Judges, Lawyers Kevin Lee,
8. Appeals Court Seeks To Influence Calif. High Court Decisions David W. Moreshead, Law360, December 2, 2015
9. Court of Appeal voices at the Supreme Court David Ettinger, www.atthelectern.com, November 11, 2015
10. The Disappearing Precedent Andrew Cohen, The Marshall Project, September 25, 2015
11. Calif. High Court Proposal Would End Depublication Practice Jessica Di Palma, Law360, September 22, 2015
12. State Justices Revive Depublication Debate Cheryl Miller, The Recorder, July 31, 2015
13. Supreme Court asks for input on court rule proposal America Hernandez, Daily Journal, July 30, 2015
14. Publishing appellate decisions Dan Walters, Sacramento Bee, July 27, 2015
15. State high court rejects bid to depublish appellate water ruling America Hernandez, Daily Journal, July 24, 2015
16. California attorney general goes to bat for water-hog penalties Kurtis Alexander, SF Chronicle, June 19, 2015
17. What the Dickens is the Law? Gary A. Watt, Tiffany J. Gates; Daily Journal; September 3, 2013
18. The Value of Unpublished Opinions Moe Keshavarzi, Daily Journal, May 7, 2010
19. Confessions of a Non-Publication Troglodyte Gideon Kanner, Daily Journal, April 28, 2010
20. Judges Debate Unpublished Opinions John Roemer, Daily Journal, April 16, 2010
21. Democratic Attorney General hopeful Mike Schmier in legal crusade Paul Elias, Associated Press, April 3, 2010
22. Dems deem East Bay AG candidate... Josh Richman, March 31, 2010
Judge's Unusual Request: Don't Print This in Westlaw or Lexis
Debra Cassens Weiss;
24. Is Google Scholar a Worthy Adversary? Oliver Benn; Law Technology News; March 9, 2010
25. 9th Circuit Dukes It Out Over Dicta John Roemer; Daily Journal; February 26, 2010.
26. California Appellate Court Refuses to Publish Anti-Camera Decision TheNewspaper.com; October 17, 2009
27. Articles / Obituaries related to the death of Prof. Stephen Barnett October 13, 2009
29. Publishing Policy Challenged Laura Ernde; Daily Journal; September 16, 2009
30. Unpublished Appellate Opinions Are Still Commonplace Aaron S. Bayer; The National Law Journal; August 24, 2009
31. Alsup OKs No-Citation Rule, Denies Sanctions Mike McKee; The Recorder; July 29, 2009
32. Can We At Least Call Him a Persistent Litigant? Laura Ernde; LA/SF Daily Journal; July 28, 2009
33. Schmier Argues He's Not Vexatious (But Hey, The Dude is Tenacious) Mike McKee; LawBlog (Cal Law); July 21, 2009
34. Judge Blasts 'Forum Shopping' in Publication Case Mike McKee; The Recorder; July 17, 2009
35. Making the Case for Case Citationsï¿½Without Much Luck Rebecca Beyer; LA/SF Daily Journal; July 16, 2009
36. Keeping it quiet; Only a fraction of the details of the rulings of Maryland's second-highest appeals court are ever made widely available to the public Melissa Harris; Baltimore Sun; March 22, 2009
37. Unpublished Opinions in Federal Courts: An Interview with David Cleveland Law Librarian Blog; October 29, 2008
38. Should MD adopt the new federal rule regarding citing of
unpublished cases? Michael Wein; Daily Record (
39. Need to reform unpublished opinions in Maryland
Michael Wein; Daily Record (
40. Discussion of Schmier v. Supreme Court, the very first
case presented in the textbook used for the basic course in most
41. Appeal Courts Publishing More, Barely Mike McKee; The Recorder; June 27, 2008
42. Hungry for Precedent Donald J. Kochan; Daily Journal; May 5, 2008
44. Is Governor Serious About Taxing Lawyers? Cheryl Miller; The Recorder; March 24, 2008. (Please scroll down to second half of article.)
45. Rules for Unpublished Opinions Violate Due Process, Suit Says Linda Rapattoni; Daily Journal; October 5, 2007. (Please see the Complaint | Underlying unpublished appellate opinion, described in the above article.)
46. A Quest to Get More Court Rulings Online, and Free John Markoff; The New York Times; August 20, 2007.
47. Appeal Courts Are Publishing More Cases The Recorder; July 19, 2007.
48. Chief Justice Derails Bill on Changing State's Citation Rules Linda Rapattoni; Daily Journal; June 22, 2007.
49. Raising the Bar: "Citing Unpublished Opinions" Paul Mark Sandler; The Daily Record; May 4, 2007.
50. A New Proposal to Permit Lawyers To Cite ï¿½Unpublishedï¿½ Opinions: Does It Go Far Enough? Michael C. Dorf; FindLaw.com; September 2, 2003.
51. New Rule Challenges Meaning of Precedent Stephen R. Barnett; Daily Journal; January 26, 2007.
52. Uncovering Unpublished Opinions Laura M. Wilson; Daily Journal; January 18, 2007.
53. Unpublished Opinions Paul D. Fogel and David J. de Jesus; Daily Journal; Dec. 20, 2006.
54. California Supreme Court Amends Publication Rule, Encourages Certification of More Opinions Metropolitan News-Enterprise; December 13, 2006.
56. Commentary: What Do the Federal Appellate Procedure Rule Changes Mean for You? Howard J. Bashman, November 27, 2006
57. The Ninth Circuit and the No-Cite Rule Stephen R. Barnett; The Recorder April 21, 2006
58. To Cite or Not to Cite to Non-Precedential Opinions Howard J. Bashman, March 6, 2006
59. Court OKs Citation of Unpublished Opinions Brent Kendall; Daily Journal; April 14, 2006
60. Court Endorses Use of Unpublished Opinions Tony Mauro; Legal Times; April 12, 2006
61. Why Judge Alito Should Be Confirmed Kenneth and Michael Schmier;
62. Unpublished Opinions: Oh, the Shame of It! Stephen R. Barnett; Daily Journal; November 16, 2005
63. Justices Carve Exception to the No-Cite Rule Kenneth and Michael Schmier; The Recorder; November 4, 2005
64. Congress/Courts Study Use of Unpublished Opinions The Third Branch: Newsletter of the Federal Courts; July 2002
65. Advisory Panel Nixes Call to Publish All Appellate Rulings Linda Rapattoni; Daily Journal; October 19, 2005
66. Appellate court rule gets new weight Josh Richman;
67. Judicial Conference Supports Citing Unpublished Opinions Tony Mauro; Legal Times; September 21, 2005
68. Panel OKs Cites To Unpublished U.S. Opinions Brent Kendall and Linda Rapattoni; Daily Journal; September 21, 2005
69. Appellate court begins to put 'unpublished' rulings on Web Robert Schwaneberg; Star Ledger; September 20, 2005
70. Taking the Kozinski Challenge Cyrus Sanai; The Recorder; September 16, 2005
71. Conference to mull unpublished opinions Jeff Chorney; The Recorder; June 16, 2005
72. Red-light camera ruling stands Brian Martinez; Orange County Register; May 12, 2005
73. Slanted Survey Won't Help State's Publication Debate Prof. Stephen Barnett; Daily Journal; April 28, 2005
74. Panel OKs Rule on Citing Unpublished Opinions Linda Rapattoni; Daily Journal; April 25, 2005
75. Judiciary Guards its Secrets Linda Rapattoni; Daily Journal; February 16, 2005
76. Panel to Study Unpublished Opinions John Roemer; Daily Journal; November 24, 2004
77. Unpublished Court Decisions An Issue
78. To Cite Or Not To Cite; Ask Illinois About Unpublished Cases Prof. Stephen Barnett; Daily Journal; October 7, 2004
79. You Can See, But Not Cite MacLean, Pamela; Daily Journal; Sep. 30, 2004
80. Article Raises Questions of Lobbying Secrecy Prof. Stephen Barnett; Daily Journal; September 20, 2004
81. Unpublished opinions and Blakely (also seen as "Courts Are Quirky About Publishing") Douglas A. Berman; Sentencing Law and Policy Blog; August 26, 2004
82. THERE IS HOPE! Some Lawyers Do Fight Injustice Of A Corrupted, Festering Judicial System! J. Jay Evenson; The Bachelor's Beat; August 27, 2004
83. Longtime Judiciary Lobbyist Brought Branches Together Linda Rapattoni; Daily Journal; September 7, 2004
84. Appeals court agrees tenancy law must go Bob Egelko; S.F. Chronicle; June 26, 2004
85. Injured Muni rider's lawsuit reinstated by appeals court Bob Egelko; S.F. Chronicle; September 8, 2004
86. Man Fights Depublication of Case Susan McRae; Daily Journal, August 19, 2004
87. Citation Rules Mean Equal Treatment Isn't Guaranteed Peter Blumberg; Daily Journal, August 19, 2004
88. Citation-Rule Change Hits Obstacle Brent Kendall; Daily Journal, June 18, 2004
89. New Rule Gives Lawyers More Flexibility in Choosing Citations Aimee Mackay and Catherine Valerio Barrad; Daily Journal; June 3, 2004
91. Rule Crusader; His Target: Court Opinions That Aren't Officially Published Young, Gary; National Law Journal; June 24, 2002
92. People Deserve the Right to Cite From Unpublished Decisions Schmier, Michael; Daily Journal; May 10, 2004
93. Courts Must Publish or Cut Bait; Gideon Kanner; Daily Journal; May 5, 2004
94. Courts' Work Deserves Publication Barnett, Stephen R.; Daily Journal; April 23, 2004
95. Courts Shouldn't Put Publishable Data In Unpublished Opinions Thompson, Robert S.; Daily Journal; April 2004
96. Bill On Unpublished Opinions Dropped; The chief justice agrees to study how the rules are applied, but remains opposed to such cites Rapattoni, Linda; Daily Journal; April 26, 2004
97. Giving Their Opinions; Committee Backs Rule Allowing Lawyers to Cite Unpublished Decisions Ward, Stephanie F.; ABA Journal eReport; April 23, 2004
98. The Law That Dare Not Speak Its Name Bashman, Howard J., April 12, 2004
99. Amid criticism, change in court moves forward; Court rule on citations Richman, Josh; The Argus; April 15, 2004
100. Judicial Conference Group Backs Citing of Unpublished Opinions Mauro, Tony; Legal Times; April 15, 2004
101. Difference of Opinion; Should judges make more rulings available as precedent? How an obscure proposal is dividing the federal bench Mauro, Tony; Legal Times; April 12, 2004
102. Kuehl floats bill on citation of unpublished opinions Chorney, Jeff; The Recorder; April 6, 2004
103. Kuehl Joins Fight For the Right to Cite Rapattoni, Linda; Daily Journal; March 26, 2004
104. Throught the Looking Glass: Humpty Dumpty and Opinions that Aren't Kionka, Edward J.; The Appellate Advocate; 2003 Issue 3
Shannon's Soapbox Shannon, Brian; The State Bar of
106. Does Court Time-Saving Cost Liberty? Fulmer, Richard W.; The Foundation for Economic Education; November 2002
107. Losing Cite: The Anastasoff Rule Whitney, Mark; TheLaw.net; 2002
108. Taking Judicial Notice: Judges be praised! Pambianco, Robert V.; October 10, 2000
109. Academic Doesn't Understand Reality Andrew J. Guilford; Daily Journal; Mar 31, 2004
110. Publishing All Opinions Will Improve Judicial System In State Barnett, Stephen; Daily Journal; March 10, 2004
111. Lawmakers Must Resist Movement To Cite Unpublished Opinions Rylaarsdam, William; Daily Journal; March 3, 2004
112. Press Release: Staff Attorney Offices Help Manage Rising Caseloads United States Administrative Office of the Courts; Feb 17, 2004
113. The Fight to Cite; The 9th Circuit Is a Vocal and Formidable Opponent of the Move To Let Lawyers Cite Unpublished Opinions MacLean, Pamela; Feb 6, 2004
114. In 2002, Small But Important Gains Were Achieved In The Battle To Abolish Non-Precedential Federal Appellate Opinions Bashman, Howard J.; Jan 13, 2003
115. 2002 Brings New Developments In Controversy Over the Precedential Status of Unpublished Appellate Opinions Bashman, Howard J.; Jan 14, 2002
No-Citation Rules As A Prior
Restraint On Attorney Speech Tusk, Marla
117. Kozinski-itis: Hypocrisy in the Unpublished Opinions Controversy L. Neuton, July 13, 2003
118. Federal Appeals Court Decisions May Go Public Adam Liptak, New York Times, December 25, 2002
119. Don't Issue Citations for Citations Stephanie Francis Cahill, ABA Journal e-Report (www.abanet.org), December 13, 2002
Out Of Cite? Stephen R. Barnett,
Opinions Rising, But Do They Help? Bruce
M. Wexler and F. Christopher Mizzo,
122. The End of Unpublished Decisions? Don't Count on It! Paul J. Glaser, Kane County Bar Association Bar Briefs, December, 2000
123. NEW DAY; California Unpublished Decisions to Be Posted Online Stephen R. Barnett, Scott Bennett, Maria Lin and Janet Tung; Daily Journal; Sep 26, 2001
124. Circuit Sticks to Its Opinion Policy Jason Hoppin, The Recorder, September 25, 2001
125. Unpublished Decisions: Caught Between Scylla and Charybdis Transcript of Discussion presented by The Bar Association of San Francisco, April 24, 2001
Judge Dodges Issue Over
Publication Rules Pamela MacLean,
127. A White Paper on Unpublished Opinions of the Court of Appeal Professor J. Clark Kelso and Joshua Weinstein, Appellate Process Task Force, March 2001
128. Letter to the Editor: 8th Circuit Ruling Revisited Sheryl Gordon McCloud, Washington State Bar News, February 2001
129. Keeping Mum Kills Precedents David Fine, The National Law Journal, February 15, 2001
Vacating Anastasoff Opinion
131. Court Rules Unpublished Decisions Have Precedential Effect Thomas E. Zehnle, Litigation News, November, 2000
132. Unpublished No More Mary Alice Robbins, Law.com, November 2, 2000
133. Justice in the Dark Brigid McMenamin, Forbes Magazine, October 30, 2000.
Justices to Review
Access to Opinions Frank
135. Legal Shortcuts Run Into Some Dead Ends William Glaberson, The New York Times, October 8, 2000
136. Publication Rights Roger Parloff, The American Lawyer, October 5, 2000
137. Unpublished Opinions May Gain New Impact Tony Mauro, American Lawyer Media, September 5, 2000
138. Anastasoff Opinion Holding 8th Circuit Rule 28A(i) in part unconstitutional U.S. Court of Appeals, August 22, 2000
139. Publish or Perish Kenneth Schmier, Response to Please Don't Cite This, June, 2000
Please Don't Cite This Alex
Kozinski and Stephen Reinhardt,
141. Schmier Campaign Stephen R. Barnett, Daily Journal, April 13, 2000
142. Arrest Sheds Light on Legal Practice Jane Futcher, Marin Independent Journal, September, 1999
143. 2 Ways Our State Courts Keep Decisions Under Wraps Ken Reich, LA Times, June 25, 1998
144. The law's dirty little secret, Scott Winokur, San Francisco Examiner, December 29, 1998
145. Mom who left 8-year-old alone not a "common criminal," Marin Independent Journal, June 21, 1998
Replacing Stressed Juror
Is Allowed; Conviction Upheld, Ana Marie
148. Lawyer says police violated manï¿½s rights, Josh Richman
149. Personal Responsibility Vanishes, Joseph Perkins
150. The Year America Lost Its Innocence, David S. Broder
151. Thomas critizes "distorted" judicial nomination process, Kansas City Star
152. Agency blasts collegial approach, Associated Press
1. Your Honor, That Was a Forum, Not a Court Editorial, Marin Independent Journal, November 8, 1998
2. Marin Judges, Meet a Citizen Who Cries 'Foul Kenneth J. Schmier, Marin Independant Journal
3. Readers Forum: The Judge Should Apologize/ The IJ Should Apologize Marin Independent Journal, March 10, 1999
4. Lawyer Urges Marin Human Rights to Probe Arrest Jane Futcher, Marin Independent Journal, March 10, 1999
5. County Faces Wrongful Arrest Suit Jane Futcher, Marin Independent Journal, April 7, 1999
6. County Denies $10 Million False Arrest Claim Jane Futcher, Marin Independent Journal, May 19, 1999
7. He Makes a Good Case Editorial, Marin Independent Journal, June 11, 1999
8. Arrest Sheds Light on Legal Practice Jane Futcher, Marin Independent Journal, September 2, 1999
9. Nonpublished Rulings: Disorder in the Courts? Editorial, Marin Independent Journal, November 5, 1999
10. County Cuts Deal with Man Tossed Out of Judges Forum Jane Futcher, Marin Independent Journal, November 9, 1999
11. SF Man Finally Gets a Chance to Speak His Mind Jane Futcher, Marin Independent Journal, December 4, 1999
12. Attorney Gets His Say Before Supervisors Over Judicial Practice Jane Futcher, Marin Independent Journal, December 15, 1999
13. Less law is better than more, Mr. Schmier Albert Bianchi, Marin Independent Journal, January 11, 2000
2 Ways Our State Courts
Keep Decisions Under Wraps, Kenneth Reich;
judges say California's top court is jeopardizing constitutional rights
2. Op-Ed: Bush vs. Gore's ironic legal legacy Jamie Raskin, LA Times, Dec. 13, 2015
3. Georgia accuses activist of ‘terrorism’ because he posted ‘copyrighted’ legal code online Travis Gettys; www.rawstory.com; July 27, 2015
4. California's chief justice loses round over Judicial Council power Patrick McGreevy; Los Angeles Times; January 30, 2012.
5. Judges' war resumes in new year Dan Walters; Sacramento Bee; Jan. 25, 2012.
6. Judges' war gets new ammo from legislative analyst Dan Walters; Sacramento Bee; Sep. 30, 2011.
7. Clash of the courts: Dissident judges challenge California chief justice's power Maura Dolan; Los Angeles Times; March 15, 2011.
8. Audit finds California courts' computer project far over budget and urges suspension Patrick McGreevy; Los Angeles Times; February 09, 2011.
9. Judges and Judiciary A Merry-Go-Around With No Beginning and No End Quentin L. Kopp; Daily Journal; April 18, 2011.
10. Boeing Beats the Trial Bar Wall Street Journal; March 19, 2011
11. Who Really Runs the Judicial Branch? Sacramento Superior Court Judge Maryanne G. Gilliard; Daily Journal; March 15, 2011
12. Judges Resist Plan to Unify Court System in California NY Times/Associated Press; March 12, 2011
13. Computer mess jeopardizes court's political clout Paul Elias; Associated Press, March 12, 2011
14. California Courts of Appeal Judge's Anti-SLAPP Comments Challenged Laura Ernde; Daily Journal; March 11, 2011
judicial hierarchy out of control
16. Fire the computer planner The Daily Breeze; March 3, 2011
18. Pennsylvania: Mixed Verdict for Disgraced Judge Associated Press; February 18, 2011
19. California State Assembly Bill AB 1208 Introduced by Majority Leader, Democratic Assemblymember Charles Calderon; February 18, 2011
20. A Supreme Court Above Reproach Erwin Chemerinsky; Daily Journal; February 15, 2011
21. Motion Asking Judge Reinhardt to Recuse Himself from the Prop. 8 Case Eugene Volokh; The Volokh Conspiracy; December 2, 2010
22. Judge refuses to withdraw from same-sex marriage case Carol J. Williams; L.A. Times, December 3, 2010
23. Chief justice takes on initiative process Greg Moran; San Diego Union Tribune, October 10, 2009
24. Top jurist defends monthly closures of state courts Greg Moran; San Diego Union Tribune, September 13, 2009
of High Court Face Ouster Attempt Maura Dolan;
26. Appeals Court says 'Under God' not a prayer Bob Egelko; SF Chronicle; March 12, 2010
27. Fullerton officials ignore state law Steven Greenhut; OC Register; December 16, 2008
28. The Future Is Within Our Grasp Christopher B. Dolan; Daily Journal; January 13, 2011
29. Let cameras in courts, chief appeals judge says Bob Egelko; SF Chronicle; October 8, 2010
30. Justice on Email; How the plaintiffs bar-attorney general nexus works in the raw Wall Street Journal; July 28, 2010
31. Court Allows 'Unrecusals' For Judges Laura Ernde; Daily Journal; December 7, 2009
32. Kozinski Complaint Is Dismissed John Roemer; Daily Journal; December 1, 2009
33. Peter Shellem, Investigative Reporter Who Wrote About Wrongful Convictions, Dies at 49 Dennis Hevesi; New York Times, November 1, 2009.
35. Articles / Obituaries related to the death of Prof. Stephen Barnett October 13, 2009
37. In California, justice takes a day off Ronald M. George; Los Angeles Times; September 14, 2009
38. California Courts Closing Its Doors J.A.I.L. News Journal; September 14, 2009
39. A Legal Battle: Online Attitude vs. Rules of the Bar John Schwartz; New York Times; September 13, 2009
40. Fewer Newspapers Fight to Open Court Proceedings Adam Liptak; New York Times, September 1, 2009
41. Pay cut, court closure have some judges in revolt Greg Moran; Sand Diego Union-Tribune; August 27, 2009
43. Judges Seek Accountability, Transparency From AOC Amy Yarbrough; Daily Journal; August 14, 2009
44. Scientists side with Drakes Bay oyster farmer Peter Fimrite, SF Chronicle, May 6, 2009.
45. Scolding and a stiff sentence for Carona Christine Hanley, Los Angeles Times, April 27, 2009
46. Judge admits mistake, unseals lawsuit against Sharon Stone Harriet Ryan, Los Angeles Times, April 25, 2009
47. Judge, Charged With Bribery, Tells Wife, Kills Himself in
48. Motion Ties W. Virginia Justice to Coal Executive Adam Liptak; New York Times; January 15, 2008
49. Doctors fight back against Internet critics Lindsey Tanner, Associated Press; March 4, 2009
50. Judges Plead Guilty in Scheme to Jail Youths for Profit Ian Urbina and Sean D. Hamill, New York Times, February 13, 2009.
51. Supreme Court weighs in on elected judge bias Mark Sherman, Associated Press, March 4, 2009
52. Ghost voting: A long history Seth Rosenfeld; San Francisco Chronicle; June 10, 2008
53. Let the record speak for itself San Francisco Chronicle; June 10, 2008
54. Other instances of "ghost voting" Seth Rosenfeld; San Francisco Chronicle; June 10, 2008
55. Assembly speaker moves to stop 'ghost voting'
56. State Lawmakers ï¿½ Play by the Rules San Francisco Chronicle; June 8, 2008
Chaos / An Absence of Accountability John
Behind the Shield John
62. It drives me crazy, figuratively, of course John Diaz; SF Chronicle; June 21, 2009
63. Tainted Trials; Stolen Justice A 3 year investigation of Santa Clara County criminal trials; San Jose Mercury News; January 22, 2006.
64. Closed courtroom leads to call for more access Bob Egelko; SF Chronicle; Saturday, October 25, 2008
65. Court Security Rules Under Consideration Amy Yarbrough; Daily Journal; October 24, 2008
66. Why How Matters Thomas L. Friedman; New York Times; October 15, 2008
67. Bill seeks report cards on higher education Tanya Schevitz; San Francisco Chronicle; June 11, 2008
68. Kozinski Gives New Life to Role of Chief Judge John Roemer; Daily Journal; June 9, 2008
69. Bill adds limits to access of copsï¿½ history in brutality cases Bob Egelko, San Francisco Chronicle; April 12, 2008
70. Neutral Citation, Court Web Sites, and Access to Authoritative Case Law Peter W. Martin;. Cornell Legal Studies Research Paper No. 06-047; December 2006.
71. Google nudges state governments to open public records databases San Francisco Chronicle; April 30, 2007.
72. Referee Who Ejected Duncan Is Suspended San Francisco Chronicle; April 18, 2007
73. On tough issues, governor's go-to plan does little
74. Spector trial renews debate on TV in courtroom Bob Egelko; SF Chronicle; April 25, 2007.
75. Unorthodox Campaign Arises From Grudge With State Bar Amy Yarbrough; Daily Journal; April 16, 2007.
76. JUICE VS. JUSTICE | A LOS ANGELES TIMES INVESTIGATION Michael J. Goodman and William C. Rempel, June 8-10, 2006
77. Framed: The New Right Attack on Chief Justice Bird and the
Courts, by Betty Medsger. Pilgrim
Against One: Coalitions in Triads, by Theodore
79. Growing Use of Private Judges Raises Questions of Fairness Ted Rohrlich, L.A. Times, December 26, 2000 (See also Penelope Pether Inequitable Injunctions: The Scandal of Private Judging in the U.S. Courts; 56 Stan. L. Rev. 1435 (2004)).
80. Private Justice Can Be Yours if You're Rich Michael Hiltzik; Los Angeles Times; March 16, 2006 (See also Penelope Pether Inequitable Injunctions: The Scandal of Private Judging in the U.S. Courts; 56 Stan. L. Rev. 1435 (2004)).